Friday, February 13, 2009

The Scene
Remember the fab Trevor Project fundraiser in December where I chatted up Rachel Zoe and Michael Patrick King? Well I wasn't the only one who left grinning ear to ear. Mr. Diabolina was a big winner that night. I told you about the Hawaii trip he bid on and won. But he also ended up scoring a silent auction item: a two night stay at the Le Montrose, a boutique hotel in West Hollywood.




A few weeks ago, Mr. D suggested we use the weekend stay for a fancy pants Valentine's Day celebration. Ugh. He is brilliant. We could use a little romantic stay-cation.









So tonight we both raced home after work, threw some things in a bag and checked into our sweet suite.








Mr. D outdid himself by having the room set up with a gorgeous bouquet of roses





And champagne on ice AND strawberries covered in chocolate! Ugh ugh ugh. Who is this dreamy man and what has he done with my mister?









For our traditional dinner the night before Valentine's Day, we walked over to Gordon Ramsey at The London hotel. As we entered the lobby, we ran into Lil Kim. Had a feeling we'd see a celebrity tonight amidst all this WeHo fabulousness. She was tiny, in jeans, with the most flawless face I've seen in a while. She was heading out to the valet with a cart overflowing with Stephen Sprouse Louis Vuitton luggage. I die.







After our August brunch at Gordon Ramsay, I knew the food was going to be spectacular. But tonight's dinner ended up being one of the best meals I have ever had. Ever ever ever.

Especially for the price: I did the $44 dine L.A. menu. I was too shy to take pictures since the atmosphere was so elegant but here's what I lapped up:

To start - wild mushroom velouté, braised beef short rib, chive Chantilly.
Entree
- Braised Ox Cheek - with port wine, horseradish creamed potatoes, glazed turnips and braising jus.
Dessert -
Chilled Coconut Tapioca - with candied ginger, passion fruit and milk chocolate-star anise ice cream.




Got back to the hotel and went exploring our new home away from home. Perused the lounge, gym, rooftop pool, jacuzzi and tennis courts.



Drank in the views before heading to our room and drinking that champagne.









To end the night, we watched Two Lovers since I heart me some Gwyneth and Mr. D is fascinated by Joaquin Phoenix's recent antics. Isn't it crazy the movie just came out but we could watch it in our room? Fancy fancy.


Perfect perfect start to a long weekend.





The Outfit
Diane Von Furstenberg dress
Vintage trench

The Accessories
Louis Vuitton earrings
Chanel purse
Manolo Blahnik slingbacks

The Grade
A-





The Commentary
They cut us loose at work early today. Decided to pop into my fave resale place on the way home - maybe find something special to wear for tonight. Discovered a major sale in process. The store was unusually packed with women shopping especially for such a rainy afternoon. I think, like me, they were hoping to find some magically well-priced outfit for Valentine's Day weekend fun.





Found these three DVF pieces that fit the bill. All on sale. Each less than a hundred dollars. Ended up only getting the flowery, scoop neck dress at right.




Have adored and stalked that print for years now. Fell in love with it when I went to NY Fashion Week in September 2006.







Thanks to Jean Bean we went to several shows but actually sat in the control booth for the DVF show!!! Single most fabulous fashion moment of my life.









Especially because the Spring 2007 collection was one of my all-time DVF favorite seasons. Such amazing prints and flattering cuts. I am now the proud owner of three pieces from that collection.









This insane wrap dress that Mr. D bought me for Valentine's Day 2007.







This graphic gorgeousness that I bought resale early last year.









And now today's floral frock. All classic DVF.








In fact the floral print of today's dress is so timeless that it could be from this year's spring DVF runway.








The only dress I still hunger for from Spring 2007 is this vaguely animal print bubble dress.





Kinda similar to this tribal look DVF showed for Fall 2009 this week at NY Fashion Week.















Animal prints will stay in vogue through the end of the year so invest now, mamis.












And if you've been on the fence about leather/liquid leggings, get off the fence. DVF AND Alexander Wang showed them. Go buy them now.












Tonight the dress ended up just the right amount of romantic. Wore it with a Spanx since it's a bit clingy and I've been feeling more than a bit jiggly lately. Wanted to wear my YSL hooker heels tonight but decided against it once I found out we were walking a few blocks to dinner. Falling down would be the perfect way to ruin all of Mr. D's plans. Ended up choosing the boring kitten heeled Manolos to ensure a comfortable moonlit stroll.









Like many women, no matter what my midsection looks like my legs stay pretty decent so it's smart to show em off.





Especially in a killer pair of high heels. Tonight a nude shoe was the best I could do to elongate the leg since I couldn't wear a stiletto.















Happy Valentine's Day weekend, pretties!






I hope you feel beautiful and confident and fabulous and loved. As beautiful, confident and fabulous as a swim suit model in Herve Leger dating Leo ;)






8 comments:

weezermonkey said...

A+ Valentine's weekend! We have the best boys! :)

Grace said...

Happy Vday to you and your sweetie!

Also, I wanted to let you know that I saw "peaches" perform at Phantom on Sunday. He was fantastic! I thought this cast was 10x better than the previous Phantom cast I saw a few years back.

Tracee said...

that dvf looks fantastic on you! great find! side note- i saw phantom last night. sadly, peaches was not our rauol. still an amazing show!!!

Sable Crow said...

Yay! How fun! Mr. D is D best in my book.

Tiffany said...

what a great V-day! i love stay-cations!

that DVF dress looks great on you, I've loved that print too but could never find it in my size.

tam pham said...

you and i are twinkies with the super graphic DVF dress! what a great steal with the new DVF! lucky ducky!

Anonymous said...

Loved this post. I am so happy to hear that Gordon Ramsay's delicious menu did not disappoint. My boyfriend watches all of his TV shows on the BBC so I think it would a nice surprise if I took him there. In regards to DVF - that was also my favorite season. The colors and prints were absolutely lovely. I also have the snake wrap dress! We have so many of the same pieces, it is hilarious!

amber said...

two thumbs up for mr. D!

love the new dress, but still love the one you bought resale earlier this year even more. that print is just too awesome.

you're lucky your legs stay good even if you're up a few lbs. mine? not so much. :/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin