Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Featured!: On Chick Advisor

Last week Chick Advisor posted this lovely little Q&A with me.

image001

LOVE a site that sandwiches me between Gwynnie and Kimmie.

89655f02821af128c771f8aa7c1b0579

Here's the full transcript of the our Q&A :)


When did you start your blog?

January 1, 2008


How many followers do you now have? What is your geographic reach?

I have readers from all over the world – across the US and Europe mostly. Some in Australia and Asia and even the Middle East. The blog averages about 17,000 visits a month and I have over 500 followers on Twitter.


What did you hope to achieve with your blog? Did you want to reach the masses or just a private place to voice your thoughts?

I started the blog on a whim. I was feeling uninspired – professionally, creatively and sartorially. So I decided to create some discipline for myself as a writer and a fashionista. I thought writing about my daily outfits, chronicling my moods and experiences might snap me out of my funk. At that time, I had no idea there was a whole world of “what I wore today” bloggers out there.

I just wanted to force myself to write every day. I wanted to get my fashion groove on again. And writing and fashion are the two things I’ve always loved, they are the two things people always identified with me so I figured bringing them together might be fun. I genuinely NEVER dreamed anyone would read what I wrote. NEVER!

What inspired you to start blogging?

My best college girlfriend Jean works in the fashion industry. She is a journalist and really encouraged me to use fashion as a way to explore my voice and start writing again. I’ll be forever grateful to her for her encouragement.

How has your blog affected your life?

It’s changed my life completely. It’s helped me meet amazing, hilarious, lovely women I would have never met otherwise. It’s helped me create deeper connections with friends who I have known for years. It’s given me a community of people who don’t necessarily know me but care about me and encourage me. Blogging has helped me grow as a writer and a woman and a professional. It’s helped me be more fearless – in fashion and in life.

Which city are you based in?

Los Angeles, CA. It’s the only place I’ve ever lived and the only place I could ever imagine being happy.

What is the most interesting experience you’ve had as a result of your blogging? (ie. “the coolest thing that’s happened to you”?)

It’s not very “cool” but it’s the most meaningful. My mother - who is my best friend and favorite fashionista – found out she had a brain tumor in 2008. When I shared this on the blog, I got THE most incredible outpouring of support and love. So many readers shared their own experiences with brain tumors. I was amazed. Pretty sure I could never have gotten through such a tough time without all the support.

Where do you get inspiration for your outfits?

I am a born and raised Angelena so the world of celebrity is a big influence. The laid back chic that defines Southern California style is also a huge influence on me. I love L.A. bloggers like Karla’s Closet and Song of Style and Fashion Intel and Sincerely Jules.

I also love love love the European fashion photography blogs like Garance Dore, All the Pretty Birds and Caroline’s Mode. European women really understand how to use fashion to express themselves and feel beautiful.

Who are your top fashion icons?

I’m all over the place. I love me some Blair Waldorf and Leigh Lezark. I heart Gwyneth Paltrow and J Lo - equally and madly. Think they capture the two side of my fashion personality. On one end of the spectrum is the classic sophisticated good girl and the other, the over the top glam whore.

I also bow down to fashion insiders like Anna Del Russo, Christine Centenera, Shala Monroque, Margherita Missoni and Taylor Tomasi Hill. They always look chic and unique and like themselves.

What is the best or strangest fan mail you’ve received?

Last month, a guy in Brazil emailed asking if I planned on doing any videos about how to wear leather skirts. That was a little creepy but mostly funny.

What is your guilty pleasure?

The Housewives of Fill in the Blank. I hate myself for watching shows about women being shitty to each other. But they are such studies in personality disorders that the psych major in me CANNOT turn away.

Who is your favourite designer?

If there is a fashion god, his name is Karl Lagerfeld.

If you were on Sex and the City, which character would you be?

Duh. Carrie. I’m a Curly Sue writer with a panache for fashion & analyzing human behavior

If you could live in any city in the world, where would you go?

My family is Italian by way of Central America AND I’m a pig so I’d love to live in a Rome for a summer. But that just might be the Eat. Pray. Love in me talking ;)

4 comments:

sarahwl said...

haha-- I read the fashion icon question as "what are your LAPtop fashion icons?". i may have unconsciously coined a new phrase!

Natalie (NJ in L.A.) said...

Sooooo are we both secretly Italian? Lets chat about that soon. I heart you and this Q+A, thanks for the shout out. I only wish you further success!

Sheila said...

great interview! I miss the mom blog posts though.

ChickAdvisor said...

Thanks for the post Dianne! We had so much fun working with you and we're soo excited that our members are getting a chance to know you too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin