Sunday, January 10, 2010

Adventures in Makeup: Lauren Luke Youtube videos and Kim Karadashian Video Makeup Tutorials

New 2010 Feature:
Adventures in Makeup


I've always been a girlie girl.

I was the two year old on Halloween
that refused to leave the house without red, bold, "look at me, boys!" lips to match her Little Red Riding Hood costume. By the age of five I'd learned interlocking C's meant pretty and would spend hours playing in my mom's small but fancy makeup drawer. She eventually nicknamed me "Queta" as in "coqueta" which means flirty/vain/girly in Spanish.

But as I grew older, my preening honed in on fashion not so much makeup. I had fun experimenting with clothes and accessories but I found makeup hugely intimidating. This probably had something to do with the fact that I grew up in Southern California where makeup typically consists of a swipe of lip gloss paired with a permatan. But more likely it was a result of having a mother with perfect skin and gorgeous eyes that never wore much makeup. (Ironically she worked for a Christian Dior make-up counter in her early twenties and those gorg eyes were on a billboard for her department store in Guatemala.)




































Fast forward a couple of decades and I'm the type of woman that rarely wears foundation. I'll acquire an impressive collection of lotions and potions and makeup from party gift bags or friends in the beauty industry. But they typically sit in my bathroom, sad and forlorn.

However, in recent years, my interest in makeup has been growing. Maybe it's because by keeping a daily diary I've come to terms with the fact that my face is changing, slowly but surely. The fine lines are creeping in, the chin is starting to disappear into my neck. And I've realized that I should probably make the most of what I have, before it's gone forever.

So I've started dipping my toes in the makeup pool. For my 30th, 31st and 32nd birthdays, I got my makeup done professionally by the wizards at MAC. Tried fake eye lashes for the first time. And loooooved the results. Realized I can look like a totally different person - a hot mama kinda person! - with just a bit of effort and skill.
















While I was at home for three weeks caring for my mom after her brain surgery, I became addicted to makeup DIY videos on the Interwebs, specifically Lauren Luke. For months I had heard of the British single mom that has taken Youtube by storm with her makeup tutorials which led to her own makeup line at Sephora.

During the month of December, I finally watched one of Lauren's videos and then proceeded to watch a dozen more. LOVE Lauren's unassuming manner, how she breaks down complicated looks into a series of simple steps and the fact that she encourages viewers to have fun, experiment with color and not be afraid to make mistakes. It's what I've been trying to do with fashion and this blog for the last two years.











































At first I started recreating her more natural looks. A bit of silver on the eyes. Heavy eyeliner. Some contouring using her number three technique: swipe matte bronzer in the shape of a three on your forehead, cheeks and jawline. And a bit of highlighter - on the inside and outside corner of the eyes - to open up the eye area and emphasize the cheekbone.
































































As I got more comfortable and was having more and more fun, I tried my hand at the smokier looks. Learned the importance of starting with a good eye shadow primer and layering eye shadow colors for a more multi-dimensional look.



































































As New Year's approached, I made several resolutions. To get back in shape. To be tidier. To write more, shop less. To eat less, craft more. And to figure out my career once and for all.

I also resolved to make 2010 the year of the (cat) makeup. After all, true style is about the details, head to toe glam. I vow to experiment with wearing bolder makeup, to have fun with color and identity and femininity. To get my Kim Kardashian on, if you will.






























































I even found this three part video series with Kim's make up artist Mario and this blog by another one of her glam squad team members, Troy Jensen. Learned a ton about the exact products and colors today's It girls use. Even whipped up a "Kim eye for work" on my first day back in The Office. Seriously smoky by my standards. Ended up getitng quite a few "Ho much?" stares but felt fabulous so everyone can suck it.
































































In the coming months you can expect to see more posts about my adventures with makeup. Tricks I'm learning and products I'm loving. For now here's some gorgeous inspiration to help kick off a prettier new year of you.




































































































































































































































































11 comments:

makeup@moirataylor.com said...

LOVE the post! :) And I believe that your execution of the makeup that you wore back to your first day of work was fantastic!

Fashion_Loving_Stylist said...

Wow, I can't believe you were able to do all so well. Your make up is amazing. I really need to learn how to do it too but I'm sooo lazy.

amber said...

If that last picture of you is what warranted the "Ho much?" stares, they need to STFU. You look gorgeous. The hair and makeup combo was really working for you in that pic. Keep it up missy!

Anonymous said...

You should also check out www.makeupgeek.com. Marleina shows how to apply eyeshadow like nobody's business.

Speis Girl said...

ohhhh your eyes look amazing! so true abt the eyeshadow primer - Godsend! my fave is urban decay's eyeshadow primer potion.

tam pham said...

meow....

hottie, much?

Shawna said...

Funny that you posted this today. I was just admiring your makeup in your last post. Where you're wearing the new Forever 21 yellow cardigan. I thought it looked fabulous, as it does in this one too!

WendyB said...

It's not a party without false lashes.

fshnonmymind said...

Your make-up looks great for your first day back in the office. This post and an upcoming 30th birthday is inspiring me to play with the eye make-up. I always love Kim K's face. I will definitely check out those links.

Sheila said...

lovin the smokey eye makeup, I did notice in your past few posts that your makeup turned up a notch, which is great!!! keep it up :)

Neekoh said...

So many inspirational photos in this post. I'm bookmarking it so I can reference it next time I want to do it up! Thank you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin