Sunday, September 27, 2009

Coco Before Chanel

The Scene
In honor of the new Chanel beauty that joined the family yesterday, my mom and I watched Coco Before Chanel today.































Unfortunately, it was The September Issue all over again. Didn't love it. Sure it was interesting to catch glimpses into the psyche of one of the first women to give birth to an iconic fashion house.





































How she was influenced by the austerity of a childhood spent in an orphanage and romantic visits to the shore as an adult. How she developed a style all her own - one rooted in androgyny and comfort and improvisation. How the Chanel empire started with - of all things - a few straw hats.















































But like The September Issue, Coco Before Chanel is fundamentally joyless. Not surprising. The bottom line that emerges in this movie and things I've read about Coco Chanel: she was not a particularly happy or likable or satisfied person. So often the case with great visionaries.





































The saving grace of the movie is Amelie...er...Audrey Tatou. She floats through scenes with an elan and grace few American actresses possess. She makes me wish I could spritz on some Chanel No. 5 and instantly transform into a French gamine.


























































The best part of the movie for me happened well after the credits rolled. My mom pointedly said to me, "I didn't realize Coco never married or had any children." I nodded vigorously as she muttered, "She probably would have never accomplished everything she did if she had..."

If it takes sitting through mediocre movies to get my mom to understand why I feel zero urgency to get married or have babies, I'll do it. I'll do it every weekend.










































The Outfit
Banana Republic top
Ann Taylor shorts

The Accessories
Marc by Marc Jacobs zipper earrings
Urban Outfitters head band
Chanel bag
Tory Burch flats


The Grade
B-
































The Commentary
Still too scorching hot for anything other than shorts





























































Decided to mix up the prints with a little textured polka dot top
































Particularly loving the mix of patterns Marni showed on the runway for Spring.

































Almost as much as the polka dots with leather Phllip showed































The 80s look Marc showed at M by MJ

































The unabashed girliness at Chris Benz






























And the Hitchcock-esque beauties Prabal Gurung

































But my favorite part of today's look: the braid. It really is the one Spring trend that's unapologetically girly. Well braids and polka dots.

5 comments:

Fashion_Loving_Stylist said...

Funny I felt a bit blah about the movie as well. LOVE your new bag. Divine.

WendyB said...

I thought the reviews of the movie sounded bad enough that I wouldn't bother going. Still seems like a good plan to me.

Sheila said...

Thanks for the quick recap of the movie! :)

Victoria said...

Congrats on the bag!

Rate Your Hairdresser said...

Loved Ms. Von Teese's sheer polka dot blouse. Wow!

And also that dress on that model...Prabal Whatchamcaller. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin